This is not legal advice; you should get that from a bankruptcy attorney.
But .. much of that is readily available online. Still, get it in person.
One California bankruptcy lawyer’s website says:
If you filed a Chapter 7 and got a discharge and it is less than 8 years from the date the first case was filed, you cannot file another Chapter 7 and get a discharge. If you filed previously for chapter 7 and got a discharge, you are not eligible for a discharge a new Chapter 13 case for four years. If you got a discharge in previous Chapter 13 and you need to do another one, you can do it after waiting 2 years to be eligible for a discharge.
Colong & Fong, a local Carmichael bankruptcy practice, also notes on their blog that the means test changed December 1, 2014. It is worth noting that just because you qualified before, doesn’t mean that you will automatically qualify again.
In any action for personal injury, property damage or wrongful death, based upon principles of comparative fault, the liability of each defendant for non-economic damages shall be several only and shall not be joint. Each defendant shall be liable only for the amount of non-economic damages allocated to that defendant in direct proportion to that defendant’s percentage of fault, and a separate judgment shall be rendered against that defendant for that amount.
What does this mean, in English?
The ballot summary of proposition 51 explains in better detail:
“Under existing law, tort damages awarded a plaintiff in court against multiple defendants may all be collected from one defendant. A defendant paying all the damages may seek equitable reimbursement from other defendants. Under this amendment, this rule continues to apply to “economic damages,” defined as objectively verifiable monetary losses, including medical expenses, earnings loss, and others specified; however, for “non-economic damages,” defined as subjective, non-monetary losses, including pain, suffering, and others specified, each defendant’s responsibility to pay plaintiff’s damages would be limited in direct proportion to that defendant’s percentage of fault.”
More information is available on BallotPedia here.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Carmichael has a total area of 13.8 square miles, of which, 13.5 square miles of it is land (98.08%) and the remaining 0.3 square miles of it (1.92%) is water.